Sunday, November 27, 2011

wake up naked, drinking coffee, making plans to change the world.

yoga training session #1
about that blog post title- you might be thinking, 'those are pretty big plans for such a little girl', but... maybe some day?

i realized during my very first class that i have such a passion for yoga, i really just want to share it (despite my debilitating fear of public speaking-ugh). luckily for me, i have the most amazing mentor who makes me feel much more comfortable and puts me at ease with the whole process. need proof? this was my first homework assignment from her: "create a sun-salutation, memorize it, develop verbal cues, and teach it to me next week. or dont. if you arent comfortable with it, just text me and let me know... we can do something else instead." love her.

so during our first session, we talked about how to present poses to a class; the importance of self-confidence; developing your own style; speaking in sanskrit, or westernized terms (or just making up my own) and what my dream class would be like. it was lovely.

my dream class would be 90 minutes long in a warm yoga room (sound-proof please!). i would have the sweetest mix prepared with just the right amount of energy (a little fine frenzy, a few bon iver tunes, maybe even some she & him...) and we would start with breathing exercises on the floor, gradually moving into mountain pose through several vinyasas to get the heart rate up. it would be non-stop, fluid motions that occasionally peaked in tree, warrior three, or even crow (love me some crow), and left everyone sweaty, relaxed and energized when it came to an end.

so, with that in mind, i began to develop my very first sun-salutation and asked joey to be my very first student. he obliged (he probably didnt realize he signed up for yoga training when i did, huh? poor kid...). now im off to practice, practice, practice!

2 comments:

Christine said...

love it love it love it. if you need another student to practice with, i'm your girl. i suck at crow, though, but i do like to provide almost-constant positive feedback to my yoga teachers so... that might be nice.

Anonymous said...

awesome-i'll keep that in mind... i def could use almost-constant positive feedback :)