Wednesday, June 20, 2012

i love you & buddha too

so i kinda sorta had my first teaching experience back in May, but was hesitant to write about it because i'm not entirely sure that it counts. all of the signs of a yoga class were there (students, check. yoga mats, check. dimly lit room and rockin' music, check & double check.) but i fudged the second to last pose and literally instructed my guinea pigs to "hold that lunge while i check my notebook". i dont ever want to do that in a real class. ever.

plus, i only had two students- my very patient teacher and my very outspoken friend, who occasionally tossed out ideas like "why dont you throw in some arm stretching at this point? even a couple back bends...". actually, maybe it was more of a critique than my first class. yea! lets call it that.

ok, so my first 'critique' was 30 minutes long and included really basic poses. it started with a middle eastern tapping exercise to make sure everyone was relaxed and present, and ended with a very short savasana (mostly because i struggle with long savasanas due to my yoga ADD). my playlist went something like this:

Brand New Shoes by She & Him
Every Little Thing She Does is Magic by The Police
Go Outside by The Cults
If There's Love by Citizen Cope
My Doorbell by The White Stripes
Paradise by Coldplay
Right as Rain by Adele
Seperator by Radiohead

my teacher said my cues and 'flow' were really good, and flow is super important in 2 professions: rapping and yoga-ing. so that gave me a little boost of confidence as i began creating my newest sequence for a power vinyasa class. also, it made me want to listen to more kanye. "that shit cray, aint it jay? what she order? fish filet."

check, annnnnd check.

No comments: